Monday, March 3, 2008

I the Supreme 2

Maybe the hardest book I have ever read in all my life, but also the most descriptive narration about how dictators are and how dictatorships work. The language that Roa Bastos used, can be very confused, but at the same time, only this book can describe the live of a supreme in his thoughts his feelings and his perspectives.

As I mentioned in my last post, I think that the supreme can be adapted to the dictatorships that we have in the actuality. The dictator that Roa Bastos describes, have all the characteristics that the authoritarians government have. The book can be a parody of the supreme figure among the history.

Two days ago, the Venezuelan government threatened to Colombia because the Colombian government made an attack to the FARC in Ecuador. In my point of view, the affected country is Ecuador, then why did Venezuela react in that way?

Maybe we can understand this case with I the Supreme. In the book, Roa Bastos argue that The Supreme has fear about everything; the president thinks that all is against him and all is threaten his power, then he destroys everyone who seems to disagree with him. Does Hugo Chavez have this paranoia?

It is very difficult to talk about the style of the novel; I can describe it as heavy and hard. But I can not distinguish any special characteristic. It seems that the book doesn’t have any story, but then, we can realize that the entire story is a description of the dictator´s life inside his thoughts and his perceptions. However, I find very interesting the reactions of the supreme; it seems that Roa Bastos give us the background of his feelings as a cause of his behaviors. Then, even if the book is very difficult to read, we can understand better all the dictator’s acts because we know what he is thinking.

3 comments:

Baysee said...

Yes I agree with you that the Supreme is a person who lives in fear and he would think about who threatens him. However, I believe this book has a story and has a plot.

Erica Byrne said...

While I may not go so far as to say that this is “the hardest book” I’ve ever read, I do agree with you that this was a very descriptive narration of dictatorships. I found it interesting how you tied the novel to a current event.

VIISe7en said...

Oh please don't talk about the style of the book. It's mind boggling. It's so confusing yet I ended up liking this book a bit. I'm also suprised that you connected the novel to what is happening at the moment.