Saturday, April 5, 2008

The last post…. The last week

So many thoughts in my mind right now, all the experiences, the learning, the new knowledge, the new friends and the consolidation of my culture, my civilization, my background, my history and the things that make me who I am!

To start, I want to say that this class was very important for me since the beginning of the course. I was exited to know more about the literature of the region in which I was born. I am proud about Mexico, but I am also proud about Latin America. Those countries are very similar to my country, we share believes and, in some times, we share history. To know more bout Argentina or Venezuela, help me to understand better the situation of the society that I belong.

At the beginning I was a little bit afraid because this is my first time out of home, without my family, my friends, in a new culture with a new language. It was very difficult to express myself at the beginning, or to understand everything, or to participate in the right way! So many things to do in a little period of time and with a lot of things in my mind! Now I am very glad because it was a big challenge for me and I think that I did it! (even if I am not expressing myself in the right way!)

Lets talk about the novels! Definitely, The General in his labyrinth and The Feast of the Goat are my favorite novels in this course! But I think that all the novels were good and show me interesting things that I had not realized before coming here!

Facundo: This dichotomy between civilization and barbarism is not over in our times! What about los Zapatistas in Chiapas! or North America vs. Latin America. But at the same time, I realized that you don’t have to find North American or European solutions for a Latin American country! You have to adapt your knowledge to your culture and to your background.

The president: Amazing novel, the rudeness of the dictator is the real image of some parts of our history, but, at the end of the book, there will be always a little bit of hope!

I the supreme: The most difficult book of the course, a big challenge for my language! I will read it again and I will understand better the next time! I think that his novel can be adapted to any dictatorship in the world. This image of the dictator can be adapted to Augusto Pinochet, Hugo Chavez, Fidel Castro, or maybe (I will try to find how) also to Hitler or Mussolini!

The general in his labyrinth: Simon Bolivar the man and not the myth! The hero of Latin America converted in a common human like us! He had not superpowers or something extra natural, just a big dream, with big determination and with the courage to keep moving forward even if you can not do more! The illness can kill a man, but nothing will kill the ideas, the dreams and the thoughts of a legend. That is a real leader and a real hero!

The Feast of the Goat: The present in the past and the past in the present! Maybe the best description of the actual society as a function of our history! Not just the life under a dictatorship, also the life after the dictatorship! The consequences, the fears, the broken dreams and the believes that our history led to us.

Wikipedia; Come on Bessie and Lynn! We can do it! A big experience that you can hate or you can enjoy, it depends in your perspective and your point of view.

2 comments:

Baysee said...

This course was very important to me as well as I learned about Latin American history which I have not done before! The General in His Labyrinth is one of my favourite books too and I strongly agree with you that although Simon Bolivar died from his illness, his idea to unite Latin American countries is never forgotten.

isabel-clase said...

amigo! i think you expressed yourself very well! i also liked reading these books to get different insights to a variety of dictatorships. i'll miss u next semester!